San Francisco, CA – On August 1, 2012, San Francisco weedists rallied with a funeral procession to mourn the shuttering of two medical marijuana dispensaries that have served the city since 2003 (HopeNet) and 2004 (Vapor Room). The rally started at 4pm on the corner of Haight and Steiner street and ended in front of the Federal Building in San Francisco.
As the “behind-the-scenes” tech guy, it was great to get out and cover this event first hand. There is a lot of passion and energy that is very contagious. The video below highlights the event and includes interviews of a number of weedists who were there to send a message to US Attorney Melinda Haag and to President Obama.
SF MMJ Funeral Procession and Press Conference Highlights:
- Weedist interviews [beginning to 4:07 mark]
- New Orleans style funeral procession through San Francisco Streets [4:07 mark]
- Steve DeAngelo (Executive Director of Harborside Health Center) opens up the rally in front of the United States Federal Building in San Francisco [5:02 mark]
- David Campos (San Francisco Board of Supervisors, District 9) speaks about his support for Medical Marijuana rights [6:45 mark]
- Chirstina Olague (San Francisco Board of Supervisors, District 5) speaks about her support of Medical Marijuana Dispensaries in San Francisco [9:33 mark]
- Tom Ammiano (D – California State Assembly, 13th District) sends a message to President Obama [11:28 mark]
- Cathy Smith (Director of HopeNet Dispensary) wants you to vote for OG Kush for President! [13:44 mark]
- Weedist Exclusive Interview with Steve DeAngelo. Hear Steve’s thoughtful reply to “What would you say to President Obama?” [15:35 mark]