Marijuana legalization advocate and Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn spoke at Hempfest 2012, following up on his great speech from last year. It’s a short sub 3 minute speech chock-full of support for Washington State’s marijuana legalization Initiative 502 as well as a sane and compassionate understanding of the costs of the failed and futile prohibition on cannabis.
This is exactly why we must form meaningful cannabis voting blocs to have elected officials like Seattle Major Mike McGinn working for all of us.
Seattle Hempfest 2012 – Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn Video Timestamps and Highlights
- Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn Introduction [0:00 mark]
- Mike McGinn takes stage [0:17 mark]
- “When I was running for office, I was asked what my position was on the legalization of marijuana. What I said was if every elected official who ever smoked marijuana voted to legalize it, it would be legal in an instant” [0:32 mark]
- “Here’s what we know, prohibition has not worked.” McGinn provides supporting evidence from Seattle. [0:55 mark]
- Mike McGinn says marijuana home grows should be no different than home breweries and it’s unfair [1:23 mark]
- “It’s time to stop, it’s time to tax and regulate it.” prohibition as the black market fuels violence and the laws are applied in a racially discriminating fashion [1:59 mark]
- “Vote Yes on I-502… and this fall you are going to do it” [2:18 mark]