It isn’t his birthday or a remembrance of when he died, but Bill Hicks was a huge influence on not just me and my beliefs but many other people too. Comedians steal from each other all the time but even greats like George Carlin and Robin Williams stole from Hicks. Hicks was a modern prophet, a true believer and he stuck to his beliefs right up to the end.
Most importantly he said, “Folks its time to evolve ideas. Ya know evolution didn’t end with us growing thumbs, you know that right?”
Bill Hicks’ rifs on weed were more than funny they were true:
Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn’t the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit… unnatural?
Bill Hicks Evolving Ideas Highlights:
- If I were gonna legalize a drug it would not be alcohol you know why? There’s better drugs and better drugs for you. That’s a fact so you can stop your internal dialogue… Wait a minute, Bill alcohol is an acceptable form of social interaction that for thousands of years has enabled…. shut the fuck up, your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you. [1:55 mark]
- Not only do I think Marijuana should be legalized… I think it should be mandatory. [2:32 mark]
- Pot is a better drug than alcohol, FACT! I’ll prove it to you, you’re at a ballgame or a concert and someone’s really violent, aggressive and obnoxious are they drunk or are they smoking pot? Drunk would be the one and only correct answer. I have never seen people on pot get in a fight because its fucking impossible. [3:33 mark]
- It grows naturally on our planet, serves a thousand different functions, all of them positive. To make marijuana against the law is like saying that God made a mistake. [5:15 mark]
- And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. ‘Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years, rrreal fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes. [8:25 mark]
- They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you’re high, you can do everything you normally do just as well – you just realize that it’s not worth the fucking effort. [12:40 mark]