Cannabis butter, or ‘cannabutter’, is the staple building block of Cannabis cooking. *any* recipe that calls for butter can use Cannabutter as a substitute. How it works is that THC & other cannabinoids are “fat soluble”, meaning that they dissolve very nicely in butter (pure fat), especially when you have time to simmer with love for more than 2 hours.
- 1 pound of unsalted butter
- 3 cups of water
- 1 ounce of high grade Cannabis (trimmings are okay, but not as strong, higher quality cannabis will create more potent cannabutter)
- Grind your cannabis until it is very fine (the more surface area, the better)
- Bring three cups of water to a boil, in a medium pot, then reduce heat to a simmer
- Put your butter in the simmering water and let it melt completely
- Add cannabis to simmering water and butter solution
- Mix the ingredients, fluffing it up so that there are no clusters and that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan
- Once the cannabis has mixed completely with the butter, cover the mixture and let simmer for 1 – 2 hours (check the mixture periodically to ensure that it is slowly simmering, stir occasionally, the longer the better. We have pushed this to 3+ hours on very low heat with great success.)
- After 2 hours, remove from heat and let the solution stand for 2-5 minutes
- Stretch cheese cloth over an open bowl and pour the solution slowly over the cheese cloth allowing the liquid to pass through, while the cannabis solids remain on top of the cheese cloth
- Allow mixture to remain standing for 5-10 minutes while all of the liquid drains from the cheese cloth
- When all of the liquid has been strained through the cheese cloth, discard the cheese cloth (the THC has been transferred to the fat in the butter at this point)
- Place the bowl of cannabutter solution in your refrigerator for a few hours, as the solution cools, the cannabutter will float and solidify on top of the water
- When the cannabutter has solidified, floating on the water, carefully remove it from the bowl
- Pat dry the cannabuter
- Place in an air-tight freezer-safe container and place in the freezer, which will preserve the potency for a very long time
Use the frozen cannabuter in any recipe, such as muffins, cookies, or brownies.
Alternatively, Prospero has written up how to make cannabutter using a crock pot.